Thursday, June 2, 2011

Freddy's Steak Burgers

Freddy's is a brand new burger/fries restaurant in the HD's restaurant row area of Victorville. Freddy's is a straight forward diner style restaurant offering burgers, dogs, and their signature frozen custard.
I'm always super critical when visiting burger joints, it takes a lot of effort to make a good burger, and it's way too easy to make a bad one. I feel that opening a burger joint in this day and age is no longer the safe thing to do, I feel that your burger joint should offer something unique, something new, or something that tastes simply amazing. With that being said, I stepped into Freddy's and immediately felt like I was at In-N-Out. There were long lines, fast paced burger cooking, and a smell of fresh cooked burger in the air. I went ahead and went with their #1 Double cheeseburger with fries. Freddy's has an east coast attitude with their burgers, all that comes on the signature burger is mustard, pickles, and cheese. Being that i'm from the west coast, I immediately put some ketchup on my burger. Freddy's has the same attitude towards their burgers that fine steak houses have towards their steaks: Pick good cuts of meat, season mildly, and let the flavor of the perfectly cooked meat shine over everything. Upon my first bite I instantly tasted the meat over any other topping that was on the burger. It was evident immediately that this wasn't a normal burger. The meat stood out as something that wasn't your generic ground beef, it literally tasted like a well cooked steak that was flattened out and put on a burger. I wasn't a fan of the super thin patties, but the amazing flavor of the burger completely made me forget about the size of the patties. The burger had a mild aftertaste of seasoning salt, but it honestly was not needed, the natural flavor of the meat was more than enough to make this one of the better tasting burgers in the HD. The american cheese complimented the burger well, but I honestly would've been content eating the burger without any toppings at all, that's how good the meat is on Freddy's burgers! The french fries were thin cut shoe-string fries and were honestly a pain to eat, they were very thin and difficult to dip in ketchup without having them break. They tasted more like potato chips than french fries, the flavor was good, but a thicker cut fry would've gone with the burger a lot better. Freddy's offers there seasoning salt to put on the fries, which is basically a spicier seasoning salt similar to the seasoning salt that is offered at Red Robin.
I finished off my meal with some of Freddy's Signature Frozen Custard. The cashier told me that the custard is so good that it's pointless to put any toppings on it, I played it safe and put butterfinger bits on top of my vanilla custard. The cashier definitely proved me wrong, The vanilla custard tasted amazing, it had a very creamy and silky texture that put any ice cream/frozen yogurt to shame! Even the vanilla flavor of the custard tasted different than your average vanilla, almost as if it was made with fresh vanilla bean. Although I was full from my burger, I couldn't stop eating the custard, it was that good! If you haven't been to Freddy's yet, you're letting yourself down. The burgers are great, and the frozen custard is easily the best frozen treat in the HD. My bill was just over $12 for the meal and custard. Freddy's is located at 12032 Amargosa Rd. in Victorville.

2 comments:

  1. Just tried it out. Also got the double combo meal. Very good. You're right about the thickness of the parties. A double is the size of a single anywhere else but the taste definitely makes up for it. The fries are almost identical to the fries at weinerschnitzel. Will definitely go back. Will have to try the frozen custard next time. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely not a fan of In-N-Out, way over rated in my opinion! But the way you descried the taste of the burger has me wanting to try out Freddy's this week. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete